Services for seniors:
Ideally, I start working with seniors when they are still juniors. I like to start the college planning process during the winter of 11th grade because it gives you adequate time to take SAT/ACT/Subject Tests and do visits. That said, it’s never too late to start working with me.
Typically, I like to have a school list finalized by July before senior year. In late July/ early August, I begin to work on applications.
Whether you choose to come to one of my senior workshops or meet with me in one-on-one sessions, we will accomplish the following:
– Write the main Common Application essay
– Write all school-specific supplemental essays and explore ways to overlap them
– Finish the Profile, Family, Education, and Testing sections of Common Application
– Write a resume/ activities list to be used for the Common App Activities section
– Create accounts and write essays for non-Common App schools
– Identify which teachers to ask for recommendations; learn how to generate recommendation requests on Common App and/or Naviance
– Send official score reports from College Board and ACT
– Explore outside scholarship sites; write any school-based merit aid scholarship essays
What sets me apart is that my college application work is writing intensive. I don’t just talk about what makes a good essay. I actually sit with my students and patiently work through outlines and revisions until they create essays that reflect their authentic voice. My students sometimes call me the “Essay Whisperer” because I’m able to help them discern what to write about…even when they’re convinced they have “no good stories to tell” or that their lives are “boring”.
My rate for senior meetings is $80 per hour.
Gap year planning:
Read my post about the benefits of taking a “gap year” before college. I help Buffalo-based students plan pre-college experiences that combine community service, paid work, and pursuit of personal passions.
Freshman, sophomore and junior year consultations:
These consultations cover four areas:
- Transcript assessment and course selection assistance. I point out areas of strength and weakness in a student’s transcript. I come up with a two-, three-, or four-year course plan that is right for the student and will garner maximum attention from colleges.
- Standardized test planning. When should a student first take SATs? How many times should she take them? What about ACTs and SAT Subject Tests? The world of standardized testing can be confusing, and I find that families often get mixed messages. I create a realistic, practical test calendar for my students and connect them with appropriate preparation resources.
- Evaluation of extracurricular activities. Should a student strive to be “well-rounded” or commit his time to a few important activities? I answer this question, and help students hone in on what their true passions are. Like the transcript assessment, I look for areas of strength and weakness in a student’s outside-of-school activities. I make creative suggestions about how a student can expand upon her/his interests and develop a resume that is full of meaningful, attention-getting work. I use my extensive network to connect students with potential volunteer placements at local non-profits. I also work with students on applications to summer programs at Roswell Park, ECMC, Hauptmann-Woodward, and universities. I have a Studio Art background and frequently help student-artists put together portfolios.
- Preliminary school list. Based on PSAT/ PLAN/ early SAT scores and the transcript, I create a list of schools for families to use as a basis for visits.
This meeting lasts for approximately 2 hours. It takes place at my office or your home – wherever you feel most comfortable. After the meeting, you will receive a 4- to 5-page summary of what we discussed, plus the school list.
The cost for this meeting is $200.
Specialized SAT/ ACT preparation:
I provide targeted tutoring for the Reading, Writing, and Essay sections of the new SAT, and the English, Reading, and Science sections of the ACT. I also teach strategies for the redesigned ACT Essay section. I do not tutor the Math sections. My services are designed for strong math students who need to bring their Reading/ Writing scores up to par. I recommend that students complete a comprehensive test prep course before seeing me for targeted work.
The cost is $80 for a 60-minute session.
I provide year-round academic tutoring in English and History. My focus is on the writing process. I also provide referrals to tutors who specialize in Math and Science.
The cost is $80 for a 60-minute session.